Thursday 14 March 2019

Sewing Room: Sorting fabric by yardage

Sewing Room

The last two weeks the painting jobs kept me away from quilting but managed to precut my scarps into squares and strips.  Our Ikea boxes arrived and my husband worked the set them up for me. It amazed me how it looked spacious in that same square footage area.  I set my Juki on the Ikea's table, my Janome stayed on its own table by the wall.  One large cutting mat and small ironing board on the same side of the table.

  So much brighter than before and it's now pleasant to sew in that area (8' x 11')
Today I finished sorting all my fabrics by yardage. The smaller pieces were cut into strips and squares. It took me three weeks to go through my stash, but it was worthwhile.

It doesn't matter how you fold your fabrics, but do it in a matter that is functional and practical to yourself. Mine was stored on a shelve by groups of colours at first, then I folded all my fabrics differently so it could fit in the Ikea units. What I didn't realize is, how the smaller pieces of fabrics got hidden between the larger ones.

Some were Fat quarters, fat eights, and lots of half yards! Surprisingly, I was able to fill these three boxes. With every pile I went through, I find pretty prints I had  purchased many years ago. 

It will be worthwhile to have an inventory of my entire stash.  Both for cost-effectiveness and a toll of colour selection.  

How many yardages do you have in your stash? 10, 20, 50, 100? 
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...