Tuesday 26 March 2019

Quilt #11- Wrapped Presents & Modern-Scrappy Backing


How intriguing it’s when a quilt has the illusion of interlocking blocks, but there are not.  The design for this quilt seemed rather complicated, but it wasn’t at all.  It was simply sewing a set of three strips together and cutting them into segments. And check out my first modern-scrappy backing.



 Designed by Jo Kramer



    Planning


The original size for the quilt is 90" x  90" because I didn't have enough yardage for this quilt, I reduced it to 1/4 of its size.  My quilt is 52 1/2" x 57 ".

Fabric Selection


                               Light grey, blue Batik, and red Batik.

Set of Strips


Sewing set of strips was easy and fast.  Only one important to remember when you pressed them, it not to stretch it, otherwise the set with start to curve.

Segments


 Strips cut into segments according to the pattern.

 Block Assembly






Sewing rows vertically together.

Modern-Scrappy Backing

Because every cranny spaces in my sewing room are accounted for, I did not want to accumulate unnecessary left-over of fabrics after those project. It is fine when there is enough fabric for another quilt, but when the pieces are less than 10” wide, why bother.  This smaller quilt was perfect to try my first modern-scrappy backing.

 Step1: Measure your quilt and added at least 4" on each side. This table cloth helped me visualize the size of my backing. You could use painters tape on the floor too.

Step 2: Put all the smaller pieces in a way you like them.

Steps 3: Add fabric is you are short of pieces as I did here.

 Step 4: When you are satisfied with the overall of your modern-scrappy backing, start sewing in section. Press seams open. Squared or trimmed so each section.

 This is what is left of all the fabric pieces that I used for this project.  Not much.


Pattern available at The Quilting Company


No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...