Wednesday 15 November 2023

Cuttie Frame

A Big Decision

 

I would have loved to quilt on a long-arm sewing machine in my wildest dreams as a quilter. BUT...here is the big 'but': I couldn't justify the means when I'm not working, being a homeschooling retired mom. Life is good, but the budget is restricted. So every cent (which doesn't exist anymore) is counted.

 

Even if I was working, I debated whether I had the right reason for purchasing such a toy. The basement's space is limited. And having quilted on a regular sewing machine and switching to a long arm needs practice. 

 

So, after debating with myself for many years, I spoke with my husband about this Cutie Frame by Grace Company. After a concise discussion, we agreed to purchase it.

 

Assembling the Cutie Frame 


The instruction book has good pictures and directions for each step. Also, all the screws, Allen jack, and most pieces are labelled. I was able to assemble the entire frame without the help of my husband. There were a few steps which I wasn't sure about, and after watching on YouTube, Leah Day Tutorial Cutie Frame Build for those confusing steps.

 

 

                                                 Everything comes in a well packed box.


                               All the pieces are identified in the assemble guidebook.

It took a few hours to assemble and set my Juki and quilt. They suggest to practice on a small old project, but I'm in for the learning and challenge. Yep, the challenge was there as I learned the exact length and width of the working space. Which is roughly 6" x 32" if I use the Juki 2010.


Practice Makes Perfect 


I had a quilt set on the Cuttie Frame, and no, I didn't use an old quilt, but one I sewed in recent years. On my first attempt, quilting with a ruler and swinging the machine to the left, up and down in a row, was a disaster.

I had no speed control. I kept bumping the end of the machine into its limit zone. And the tread kept breaking. Ahhhh! My heart sank, and I wanted to cry, "What did I buy this frame? It's not working for me!" Okay, I'm dramatizing here. ( Chuckles).



The Juki 2010 is my favourite sewing machine, and I knew it quilted great on it, so the problem was elsewhere. So, with the mind of a beginner quilter, I simplified the design with free-motion loops. That worked fantastic.

Second, I controlled the speed by ensuring the pedal was in the zone where I swung the sewing machine. (Quilt a section-Stop- move the pedal to the left- Resume )Nope, I don't have a stitch regulator. That's another extravagant expense. Patience and practice is my best friend.

Third, I set a pace by removing the fabric straps and clamps from the rails. The two first rows set in motion how it worked best for me by keeping the same tempo. 

Fourth, I used paint tape for the zone-quilt area. 

Fifth, even if it was a small area the Juki 2010 gave, about 6" x 32", the quilting was much faster and easier on my body. 

Sixth, working on the Cutie Frame requires patience and understanding that it's not the BIG long-arm quilt machine. Still, it provided an opportunity to challenge myself in something new.


 Last week, I quilted the Homestead top, which is about the size of a twin bed. I love the result!


Let's Go Quilt!


 

Grace Company Cutie Assembly

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssaUZT2_oas




No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...