Tuesday 28 November 2023

O My Stars- Quilt Along with Pat Sloan

If you've precut squares from previous projects that you haven't used yet, it's time to sew a small quilt together. You can make a cute quilt even if those fabrics are not from the same designer collection. I recently have done a few control scrappy quilts and love the result. I did The Criss Cross Stars from the precut scraps from my stash.

Select a Free Printable Pattern

Step 1: Download a free pattern from one of your favourite hosts like Fat Quarter Shop, Pat Sloan, or Riley Blake. Many designers and quilters are willing to share their free designs, so give them their credit.

Step 2: Select your precut squares according to the diagram with your printed pattern beside you.

 

Step 3: Press and starch your fabric even if there are precuts. Mine are a mix of Batik, prints, and everything in between.

 Square Again!

Step 4: Those stretchy fabrics get out of shape after another good pressing.

One-eighth of an inch can make a difference to sew your rows or blocks appropriately. Always square your pieces as needed.


Sew Orphan Block

Step 5: While chain pieced, I sewed pieces from a previous project of the same fabric colour to make orphan blocks. I sewed one dark and light of the 2 1/2" squares to end the chain piecing.

                                           Orphan block are build for another projects.


Step 6: Don't overthink it. For this one, my goal was to use as many 5" squares. The good, bad, and ugly ones . The O my Stars pattern by Pat Sloan used 75. Press everything nicely, either open seams or to one side. Starch again or spray with water. A good 1/4" seam allowance helps too.

Step 7: Whether you like the result or not, you've accomplished your goal of using your scraps.


                                   O my Star was quilted on the Janome 7700


For the batting: I used Warm & Natural 80/20 from strips cut off from the larger quilts. 

For the backing: I used simply Batik piece that fit the entire small quilt.

This pattern was easy and fast. I'm sure of doing it again.

Resources

Pat Sloan: I love to make Quilts: https://www.patsloan.com/pat-sloans-free-patterns.html

Fat Quarter Shop:https://www.fatquartershop.com/free-fat-quarter-shop-exclusive-downloadable-pdf-quilt-patterns.

Riley Blake:https://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/free-quilt-patterns

No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...