Saturday 31 October 2020

Be Gone Scraps!

 Two main things I worked on this week, one was the sewed all the scrappy fabric into a  block or long strips. One small bin of scraps was full and I certainly didn't want to start another bin. Scraps pieces have a tendency to grow fast on you, so I has to deal with that bin right away. The second matter I want to address was to sew the 30 mini-blocks Mondays and turned them into a crib/throw quilt.  And I cut and sew all week and hope to finish this by next Friday.  It's encouraging to see the progress, creativity, and encouraging to see those scraps are not going to waste. Well, not all of it. They're still crumbs.

SCRAPS

Just so you know the bin was full before I started to sew anything together


That all the scrappy pieces I had in that one bin from only a few projects. It made it easier to sew the smaller strips that were of the same length and size together after that.

Mini-Block Monday


After brainstorming for ideas for my mini-block Monday with the EQ8, I opted to use the minis as the center of the Ohio Star block.


 The Ohio start blocks all turned out great and it was another opportunity for me to practice sewing HST (half-square-triangles) to make many triangles for this one simple block.


It is simple trick, match a square of dark fabric with a square of the same size of lighter fabric. Mark a line from point-to-point and sew 1/4" seam allowance on each side of the line. Cut on the line and you have created two HST. Now if you sew a dark fabric opposite of each other as shown above the same way you did before you will have created four triangles. 

 What Can I Do with Scrappy strips?

I've kept it simple by sewing a strip on each side the light-green because I've many of those and they are larger too.
 
At this point, I'm not sure if I'll turn them into squares or a long continuous strip for an after-quilt. It was encouraging to see how much I can do with one bin of scraps bin and yet I'm not. So it's time for me to get back to my sewing machine.
 
 
 

The Lord's Faithfulness Endures Forever

Praise the Lord, all nations!
    Extol him, all peoples!
For great is his steadfast love toward us,
    and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.
Praise the Lord!

Psalm 117

 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...