Friday 6 November 2020

Happy Scraps!

 My goal to rid of all the scrap was successful. Yes, I've to admit I had doubts that all those scraps would be useful, but they did. While I cut, sew, and the crib/throw quilt,  I listened to a few of Paul Washer's sermons, Revive our Hearts podcasts, and Christian music. The time flew faster than I could manage in one day. It was fun to be creative with those fabric.

 Mini Blue Monday Quilt

 The crib/ throw quilt was made at least 80% of  those scraps, but I had to purchase white fabric for the background and inner border. I also used some fabric from my stash for the border. 

 Scraps

After using most of the pieces I needed for the quilt, I reorganized the rest of it by size and length. 

 

Cut as many as I could from them into squares and added them to my bin of square-scraps. That way they are ready and organized. Leaving a bunch of pieces in a bin or box gets them wrinkles and not really useful. 
 
 
 
Labelled and organized pieces are ready to be use in any of your projects. 
 
 
 

The same bin with what was left. Three pieces! All the trimmed edges and crumb scraps were put into  a clear plastic bag, so I could use them for a dog-bed filler. 

 

Corners that Add Flair

A total of  twenty-six Ohio Star blocks were sewed, but only used 25 of them for this crib/throw size quilt. It about 61" x 61 ". The blocks are 9".  When I laid the blocks on my design wall to see the overall picture of the quilt, I didn't  want the white square in it, so I sew a square on each corner of the block to created another block instead.  

        See the white square that was created by putting four blocks together.

What I did before I sew squares in each corner of the block, I pressed one of square in a triangle shape and set it on those same blocks to see if I would like it or not. And I did! Also I wanted to use as many scraps as possible.

Easy Corners

It was easy to add squares to all those corners. You can trace a line and slightly sew just next to it toward the point. That way your have the full triangle when you fold it back.



                   And then trimmed the corner off and leave a 1/4" seam allowance. Press. 


In the end, I loved how all the scrappy blues, greens, and a bits of reds have turned this into a charming little crib/throw quilt.  

Enlarging that last picture really showed the imperfection one of the blocks. It couldn't be helped, because trimming or squaring the mini-block would have leave me nothing to work with.  It also showed me that I have to practice my seam allowances on when I deal with smaller...I meant mini pieces. It's definitively not a 'failure', it's another challenge to performance. Let's go quilt!

 

 

                                         

                                                    The Prayer of Faith

Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.







 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...