Thursday 3 October 2019

Rosette #6


                                                                        Rosette #6

As I listened to one of  Leah Day's podcasts about Ten steps to Finishing Your UFOs;   I became very aware of why certain projects got unfished or set aside for a long period of I particularly my. Millefiore Quilt Along

I started the millefiore with a great passion for a hand-sewing project I could to during my evening park in front of my TV.  Since 2017 I've learned much about fabric selection for that type of project. And just like that, my millefiore was left in a box untouched for months.


 Ugly Stitches

                                            You shouldn't see any stitches if it's done right.

At first, I thought it was the lack of motivation or interest for the EPP  but that wasn't it! As I progress with each rosette, the hand-stitches got uglier and uglier. The stitches appeared on the right side of the fabric in big loops. After that, I got very discouraged because I had spent hours on that project and wanted it to be beautiful as a wall hanging, maybe put it in a quilt show.  It was then that I left rosette #6 in its box. Until podcast #115!

The main reason the millefiore wasn't moving forward to completion was that I didn't know if there was another technique for sewing the hexagons pieces by hand-stitches. I wasn't interested in doing it by machine. With a bit of searching on Youtube, I find another lady, which I don't remember her name as I wrote this, but she called this the flat-back-stitch and it worked. Just after a few tries, I got nicer finishes on the right side.

                                 Can you tell which one is the flat-back-stitch on this piece?

This project is a self-taught and would have stayed in its bin if it wouldn't have been for quilters who are so passionate about sharing their techniques with other people. I'm greatly thankful for that. I encourage you to listen to Leah Day's Postcast #115

No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...