Thursday 25 April 2024

Shine Together~part 2

As I mentioned last week, one top finished: Shine Together. It wasn't supposed to happen that way. 


How did this happen? Well, first, I spent hours selecting the fabrics for each block. Then, I precut all the pieces and labelled them, thinking it would make things easier along the road because there are nine other projects that will start apart from this one.


Second, even with the schedule pinned on a board in front of my cutting table and all the projects laid out by order from 1 to 10 in the planner, I forgot Shine Together was to be worked on monthly, not in three months! Oh well, the quilt is done, and I have no regrets.

More Blocks!

Each block from the quilt's center took approximately thirty minutes to piece. Because each block differed in construction, I sewed one at a time instead of chain-piecing.

 Oupsy-Doopsy


This part of the free pattern got me thinking. After sewing six strips together, I couldn't get the 12 1/2" half square I needed. The seams were fine, but the length and width still fell short, about 1/8". It's way too close to my liking if you want to square it afterward to a perfect 12 1/2".


So, instead of redoing the two blocks all over again, I trimmed a big 1/2" away from the diagonal seam, then ripped off a few pieces and sewed them back together. It was just needed at the tip of the block. With the right sides together, I sew both half-triangles and squares. Both of the blocks were fine after that little fixing.

Design Wall

As you see, you cannot tell that the yellow/white triangles are fixed. And, of course, after I completed all the blocks, I couldn't resist and finished the top.


                                The colour are so vibrant and youthful, it makes my heart happy.

Put Away

All the fabric from Shine Together was put away in their original bins. The smaller pieces were cut into squares and stored in their proper containers. I've also found a backing for this quilt. Make the label and binding, too.

Planning Ahead

Hum, I'm thinking of planning ahead what free-motioned designs for this top. Or practice Angela Walter's design for this one as there are many large blocks with empty space.

Resource

Here is a construction of a few blocks and the fabric selection for this project. 

https://quilter4him.blogspot.com/2024/02/shine-together-quilt-sal.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...