Friday 13 October 2023

Lost & Garden Flower

The continual challenge of using orphan blocks or unfinished projects to make one quilt extraordinaire has pushed my creativity overboard. For this to happen, I learned how to use the EQ8 custom quilt. I need to become more savvy about any software, even this one I have had for many years. I don't use it often, but it's so valuable when I do. Here are two examples of quilts done with orphan blocks using the EQ8 custom quilt tool.

 

Lost

 

The name for this quilt isn't original, but I had to give a name to record the project in the Quilting Journal. The truth is, I was at a loss for words for this one.

 

Lost: top finished August 2023


For this finished top, I used:

 

  •  3 Criss Cross stars (top corners and one at the bottom right)
  •  2 Large blocks (middle top/bottom)
  • The Center is four blocks done by my daughter in the grade 9 sewing project.
  • Lower left is another orphan block and added a shashing.
  • 3 Dash churns are new
  • One orphan block in the middle right of the quilt.
  •  

Because all the blocks were of different sizes, I needed to figure out the cutting size of each sashing to fit correctly between those blocks. At first, I drew the design on a grid paper with each block in its proper area to visualize the entire quilt. Also, putting those blocks on the design wall helped, but my frustration grew with the sashing pieces I had yet to choose as a background. 

 

Design Wall at Work


                                                  I'm using mostly fabric scraps and precut squares.

EQ8

Eventually, I went to my laptop and brave myself to learn how to use the Custom Quilt program. After watching a few YouTube on it, it became easier to maneuver the program, and I learned how to create my pattern.It was simpler than I thought it would be.


It gives all the size dimensions of each block, and you must add the seam allowance to your pattern after printing it out. This picture shows my progress and how I used some of their included blocks to make my quilt top. It helped visualize the entire finished project.

Flower Garden

Flower Garden completed June 2023

 

For this finished top, I used:

  • 3 Grandmother Flower (They are hand-sewn and about 35 years old!)
  • Three squares from another project
  • A Tree (Times & Season by Piecemaker 2002)
  • Large Dresden I did use a new ruler
  • A medium size Dresden

 

All those orphan blocks are over ten years old and stored in one of my bins. I quilted this top with many different free-motion designs. Unfortunately, I no longer have a close-up picture of the quilt.


What are your goals with your unfinished blocks? And if you're wondering if I still have some orphan blocks in a bin, this will be another project next year.


In Progress:

  • Abide in Him
  • Superlative   
  • Homestead

Links

EQ8: Design Custom Quilt Tutorial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B317hglzs94

Piecemaker:https://store.piecemakers.com/piecemakers-2002-times-and-seasons-calendar-and-quilt-book-p389.aspx

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...