Monday 25 February 2019

Quilt 10- Add it Up





Designed made by Libs Elliott. The pattern uses rectangles and squares, making it suitable for quilters of all experience levels. 

Charting your fabrics 

I changed some of the fabric required in this pattern, because I wanted a more vibrant look for my quilt and to use only the fabric from my stash.  It's a good idea to make a chart with all your fabric choices, so that when sew your pieces together, it not confusing.  For example, I changed the blue-grey suggested in this pattern for a light-blue.

So when you cut your fabric you can use the chart as your guide. Even the three reds in the end got mixed up when I sewed them together. Yeah, it did happened to me.

Precut & Store it!

Sometimes I precut my fabric ahead of time and store it all in a craft bin with the pattern and the rest of the fabric, because you never know if you will need of an extra piece you forgot to cut.

Series of Circles

For this pattern I got a bit lost. All my fabrics didn't seemed to match exactly with the ones from the pattern.  No fear my quilting friends, there's are many creative way you can find a solution to that problem. There is a book called  Color magic for Quilters by Ann Seely & Joyce Steward. Helpful book if you don't know how to mixed fabric color theme together.

My favorite method is to decode the selvage markings and see how many colour I can use. In this print, there are 17 in total. You can usually find on the selvage the designer or manufacturer, and a series of colored circles.  Those circles represent all the colour contained in the fabric line. I use that as my springboard in choosing my fabrics. 



Sewing Rows



Sewing this pattern together was a bit tricky, like piecing a puzzle.  I laid down the pieces for one  row #1, before sewing the pieced together. It was very easy to make mistake, because my reds were so closed in shades.  We were two working on this quilt. One sewing, one laying down the piecing in rows. 


There are ten rows in all.  First I sewed each row individually. Then by pairs, and halves. It easier and more manageable that way. Either from row #1- #10. Or in pairs, the result are the same. It's a preference. 

                                                  Finished Quilt Size: 72in x 90in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...