Tuesday 5 February 2019

Binding your Quilt



When I prepared my binding today for the Magic Tile quilt, it strikes how much I learned from my quilting friends. Their instructions and tips helped to improved my binding with straighter and nicer edges that don’t show much either on the front or on the back of the quilt. So here’s my note of appreciation for all the sharing you did with me. Thank you to all my quilters in Prince George, BC.

When I began quilting in the ’70s, I used to turned over the backing and used it for the binding and stitched it in the front by machine. The results were not satisfying, but that’s all I knew then. If I find the courage to put some of my first quilt pictures binding, you’ll see what it looks like.



                             
This is my first quilt. Didn't know anything about binding a quilt then. Large and no batting inside. Just turned the fabric from the back. Very ugly indeed. But that quilt has a lot of memory for me. So it's a keeper.

Measuring Quilt

Measure the perimeter of your quilt. A pattern will already have given you the dimension of the quilt, use it to find our the perimeter. I used Quilter’s Reference Tool, to find out how much fabric I need and the number of strips I need for a double-fold binding. I preferred my binding to be cut at a 2 3/8”. Not everyone has the same preference, so find of you work best with a 2 1/2” binding.
An example of this would be like a quilt that is 54” x 60”.
54 +54 +60 +60 = 138” This is not hard math:)


If you have a guide book, you check for its reference. In this case, the Quilt’ Reference Tool guide said I will need 1/3 yard, and cut 4 strips. So far that book as been my best friend. A quick reference is so helpful. But if you don’t have the tool book, what I’ve done for many years, is used by the same principles.
  • Find the perimeter of the quilt
  • Use the fact that the width of the fabric from selvage to salvage usually 45”.
So 138 (perimeter total) divided by 45 (width of fabric) = 3.06. So I would need three strips, plus a bit more, so cutting four strips would provide enough.



Tips

Many tips and tricks are available and today I tried this one and love it! I rolled my binding on an empty paper-roll and set in a little basket by my machine. For once, I didn’t have to fight with the binding length being caught between my feet.




In the Beginning

I’ve started sewing my binding in any area of my quilt. My preference, in the end, it’s to start on one of the lengthy sides, almost in the middle. Do not start near the corner. Beside that spot anywhere is good. Also leave about 4” of loose binding, because you need to sew that part to the other end part.




Turning Corners

When coming near the corner of the quilt, stop. At this point, you can mark a 1/4” from the edge, if that would help you visualise where to anchor your needle. I ball-eyed it. (picture a)

a. Stop near the corner and mark.                                        b. Angle and sew away from the quilt

With my needle anchored in a down position, I shifted the corner of my quit in a diagonal position and sewed off the edge. (picture b)




And folded the binding to form a perfect 90-degree angle.  Then flipped the binding over again forming a straight line with the edge of my quilt                                                                  

Continued sewing binding from the folded edge.

Trimming

I’m leaving at least four inches to lose of binding because I’ll need to trim the end and sew it the other part. Leaving 2” each end it to tight when it came to sewing the edges of the binding together.


If you noticed, there is a seam on the left-binding near the opening. It's not pretty when two seams are very close together, so I sewed more of the left-binging session and part and undid about 6-8" of the right-binding.


 Marking



Mark a spot with your pencil


The binding ends were laid overlapped and flatten before I marked it with a pencil. Add and additional 1/2” for seam allowance.                    


 After I sewed the four corners and binding, I went to the cutting board to trim and mark the ends of the binding. Before I trimmed off with my rotary cutter, I angled my ruler at 45 degrees, I made sure it was set on the right side. Yes, I have cut off the wrong side before. Not fun at all.

Sewed binding edges together, making sure they were not twisted. 


Pressing

 You can finger-press and continued sewing the rest of the binding to your quilt. Or press with an iron. 



You can barely see my seam. Love it!

Securing binding

After all that is completed, the binding is ready to be hand-sewed. My preferred way to secure the binding are with mini-clips. I’ve used regular pins when I started on a low budget and prickled myself so many times. Not fun.






                                                   Wonder Clips for Quilters. Many brands are available.

                                           I used those too. They look like little girl's barrette.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...