Tuesday 9 December 2014

Project 3: Big Ten

This pattern made of small and large squares and rectangles, made it interesting in many colours schemes. This is my third time I sewed this pattern and each time, I tried to do different free-motion quilting.
   I wanted a fall theme with this one and also it's part of our guild photo-quilt challenge.
I love how it turned out and I may do another one for myself as this one is a gave away gift.
   For the first time, I planned the filler (free-motion). I thought it would be tedious and boring, but it's wasn't and enjoyed the drawing process. I learned that if you brain-hand can't coordianted the pattern on paper, it won't be easier at the machine.  I brainstormed,  ideas using different books and internet resources available.

   In each of the nine squares I'm quilting a maple leaf, putting a  bit of Canadian heritage into my quilt.
   Braking the queen size quilt into six quadrants helped to focus on a specific area. As you see, I drawed a bit to visualize the effect of the fillers.
     I set one table beside and behind my sewing table to help with the weight of the quilt. Also I used the Supreme Slider, Machinegers gloves, and inserted inside the bobin plate a Little Magic Bobbin Genies.  Everything combined together helped for sure, but with a queen size quilt, there is always a bit of a pull when I sewed toward the right.

   Every squares and rectangle are individually free-motioned.  Interesting enough, the pattern doesn't show much on the quilt, except maybe on the light solid blue fabric.
 
A closer look at the front and back.

  The free-motion maple leaf was easily done using the template. Overall, I'm satisfied with the quilt and I'm almost tempt to keep it for myself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...