Friday 18 April 2014

Project 1: Hexagon Park



Fabric I purchased in Edmonton, Alberta with a friend two years ago. This fabric laid dormant in my closest and with a retreat coming next week, I decided it was time to cut it all out using a Hex N More ruler.The pattern I will be using can be download for free at: http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/02/hexagon-park.html

Another colorful option


First I cut the fabric into strip of the desires, then used  the Hex N More ruler to cut it into half-hexagon. The pattern doesn't required this ruler, but it made it much more easier. Finally a tool I purchased and used.

After few stupid errors, I finally figured what I was doing wrong. I was cutting the strips smaller then the hexagon size.  To top left hexagon is perfect, the other are out of balance. You can see in the picture above this one that the strip doesn't go all the way tot he top.



All cut and ready to sew.  Ness Lake Retreat 2014, here I come!

Update:

      First evening, setting up and started to sew.

  By next evening all my half-hexagons were sewed and started to play with them on a design wall.


                             I alternated the pattern. The small triangles added to the half-hexagons didn't worked for me, so I made a sampler that work and was lest frustrated. Then cut 1/4'' from the hexagon edges. Now the quilt is ready to be quilted.

 
 My living area is a great place to sandwich my quilt.


                          I quilted a double-triangle in each section of the hexagon and swirls in the sashing and outer border.


I washed the quilt for a fresh and wrinkly look and loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...