Sunday 19 May 2024

BLOCKHEAD 5: Preping & Sewing

 BLOCKHEAD GROUP 2 -Quilt #2

 I spend six hours preparing 15 blocks in two days. Piecing those blocks took double the time as each ones were pieced differently. Most of these blocks are made of half-triangles and flying geese in their construction. 

                                                  A cute little pile of ready to sew blocks

Drawing each block with coloring pencil on the provided sheet was useful for I didn't have to rethink the colour position during the construction of each block. Here is BlockHead 5 Group 1 & 2 patterns:https://www.modafabrics.com/blockheads5

BLACK TIE AFFAIR-Quilt #6

After choosing small pieces of fabrics in black and white or the 5" squares from my scrap bin, I divided them into three main groups of colour: blacks, whites, and everything in between. As I pieced the blocks from the Blockhead, I set a pile of 5" square from the Black Tie Affair under the table sewing machine. To avoid confusing myself by mixing, according to the diagram, from dark fabric from the bottom to the whites at the top, I clipped four 5" pieces together in a group of six for each row. And in no time, the whole top was completed while sewing many blocks from the BlockHead. 

Not bad consider this quilt is made up of scraps. Again, this is not a kit. I'll link the pattern below. It was great being able to use those 5" scrappy squares and I've planned to make another one!

An Analogous Black Tie Affair ~ Quilt #12

The selection of those 5" square from my scraps bins.

I've used the Color Tool to identify this fabric colour which was hard to figure out and was a bit surprised that I find it on the Chartreuse page.

 

Then used the Chartreuse's backside to see my option for fabric combination. From the Chartreuse option with the light-chartreuse fabric, I choose the Analogous to use all the rest of those greens and oranges 5" squares.

This Color Tool is quite useful when most of your fabrics, like mine, are from different designers. After choosing the fabrics, I designed a mock pattern of the Black Tie Affair with EQ8 so that I could visualize the entire layout of fabrics, from dark greens at the bottom to the lighter tone at the top.

Therapeutic Sewing

Sewing is therapeutic in my life when there are situations I cannot control. My husband got a hernia surgery- which went well. My oldest son had a mental breakdown, and he isn't doing great. Also, our nine-year-old isn't may have an small intestine blockage. We've already spent $$ to have him checked by the vet. And the dog had a broken tooth at the same time. Poor dog.

But God is good and sees all this and cares. Already, He has answered our prayer by having my husband's surgery earlier when a cancellation presented itself. Praise Him!

Now, let's go quilt! 



 

 

 

 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...