Tuesday 29 March 2022

Iron Board Cover

 

                                                              New Cover

My iron decided to spew rusty water on my ironing board cover. The rusty stains were still there after soaking it overnight in laundry detergent. Worst, the iron plate was dirty with an iron deposit. How did it get so bad? The other day, I pressed a top quilt with no sign of rusty stains. I did not take this lighting; I filled the iron reservoir with vinegar and let it warm up a bit. When it was hot enough, I pressed and steamed on a piece of fabric until all the liquid was gone. I had to do it twice with vinegar and twice with a mix of water and vinegar. It's stank! Most of the debris caught in the plate's holes vaporized out.

                                                    You can see the stain on the original cover.
 

I'm used to a drier climate and water with no iron in the water. I usually empty my iron when not in use. Maybe it was just time for a spring clean-up.

Iron Cover
                                               The elastic hold in place the cover

 I purchased a curtain panel at a thrift store perfect for this. After the disaster, the cover was a ruin. I cut the new ironing cover a bit larger than the original one and sewed an edge so that I could insert a 1/2" elastic. This way, it will be easier to remove for a good wash. 
I was definitively not preparing to clean my two irons this soon, and now it's ready for my next project.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...