Monday 7 March 2016

New Hexagon: The beginning

English Paper piecing hasn't changed much  since it started. We still used paper at the back of fabric to gave it's shape. Many are still using the "old technique"  by basting threat through the layers to hold its shape in place, some like me, prefer using fabric glue to turn the edges.

Not in my dreams would I've ever thought of falling in love with EPP (English Paper Piecing). What's wrong with me! Is it not enough what I had already on my plate with FM practice, share-workshop, Quilt-Day-Out, and not to mentioned reorganizing my stash of fabric (Again? Yes, again!). Anyhow, here I'm loving it and enjoyed sewing the smaller pieces by hand and can be carried it with me wherever I go.


The pattern is gorgeous beyond description and I'm very proud of being part of the Katja Marek FB group, where so many talented people are sharing work. Very inspiring.

Katja Marek is a Canadian quilt-shop owner and is the author of The New Hexagon. In her book, she gives basic instructions for EPP and quilt-making. You can find 52 different blocks (hexagons). All the hexagons are different. A shape inside a shape.

My choice of colour theme for this one was to pick some blues, greens, purple, and spark of accent. Staying within the boundary of my stash was difficult and I had to play quite a lot with my fabric. As you see, my combination changed more than once.

Eliminating some fabric or adding some.
What a dashing accent!

Time to washed, starched and pressed the fabric.


Small mirrors put together at an angle can help you visualized your next blocks.
Photocopying the pattern onto 67-pound cover stock paper for all you EPP. It a good idea to have clear plastic for templates.
It took me awhile to organize all the five different blocks for my rosettes #1. With all my pieces label and store in an On-the-Go box, it's time to sew.

This was my first trying out. The center of my first hexagon didn't go as well with my fabric and had to go back to the "stash-board" and played once more with my fabric.
This time I  focused on rosette #1 for the colour choices. It was much better. 

This is a preview of all the 37 hexagons that are in rosette #1. The largest of the 12 rosettes to make for this entire quilt.  Isn't it satisfying when you can create something pretty with your own stash? Hurry, looked into your own stash is see if you can come up with something beautiful and creative.

Let's go stash away!!

 I shall update the rosette #1 when it's completed.
UPDATE
April 2, 2016
Rosette #1 completed!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...