Monday 1 February 2016

No Sewing Until You Quilt it

 Imagine gluing your applique pieces instead of sewing them. That's what Ann Holmes teaches in her book.  My knowledge of applique is very basic but didn't turn away from this challenge.  A technique that is entirely different from what you might from have learned in the past.


This is one of my sketches and decided to use it for my experiment. To my delight my local library owned a copy of  No Sewing Until You Quilt It by Ann Holmes and without delay, I started working on a small project following her guideline and using one of my own drawings.  Meantime I ordered her book and DVD kit.

  After I draw a few sketches in my tablet, with hills and clouds less defined, so the FM would be more manageable. Then I scanned it into my computer and used EQ6 for the final size for my pattern.




Now that I have my "Working Drawing" (pattern as Ann Holmes calls it), then it's timed to number each piece and add registration marks. You have to trace a copy into Freezer Paper too.




 Each piece are cut then pressed on your fabric. Not the usual way, so make sure you follow Holmes's direction for this step.



 The reveal is the fun part! You peeled off the Freezer Paper and discover what laid under. Well, for my first attend, a few things went wrong here. Remember that was my pattern, not Holmes, so I guessed it's okay

One green fabric I really didn't like and changed it. The small clouds were clumsily turned. The sun blended to much with the sunset. The whole sky is wrong, wrong, wrong. Okay, I'm not an artist, but a quilter *laugh*  No problem, with all the pieces already pre-cut on Freezer Paper, it was easy to restart the whole thing. I didn't have too, but I wanted to practice.

  My sunset was to orangy for my liking. Crayons fixed the problem. The Crosses were satin stitched. The far away road was quilted with thread.

A simple way to finish a small project, it's to frame it.  Voila!!

This project was entirely done with scraps.

Now it's your turn to try it:)
Let's go stash away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...