Wednesday 31 January 2024

Sew Along-Sew Good!

Hello, my Friends,


With exhilaration, I've embarked on at least six different sew-along (SAL) and eleven projects lined up for 2024. Already, I've stitched a few blocks from three SALs. It's an enjoyable process, allowing precision in piecing the blocks together. Working on different projects has challenged my efficiency in following the schedule. Also, it was a joy to see those finished blocks turning lovely after using the fabric from my stash.

 


Also, I've learned that heavily starching your fabric BEFORE cutting them into pieces is very effective. I sprayed on the wrong side, let the fabric hang on a laundry rack till they were dry, and then pressed them. Because we lived in the country, the water solution for my DIY starch is one tablespoon/ one cup of water. Letting it dissolve at a low temperature in a pot is essential. Then, I shake the bottle before spraying.

Fabric starched and drying on a rack.

 Most of all, SALs will be using the fabric from my stash. For two projects: Kona Cotton Solid quilt and  used new fabric. Never doubt your ability to select fabrics from different designers to create a beautiful quilt. Buying a kit or a bundle with a pattern may give assurance for a great-looking quilt, but it will not push your creativity out of its comfort zone. Be courageous in 2024. Use your stash!




A few blocks are precut and ready to be sewn.

Barn stars Sampler- Block 1 (24" x 24")






Thrift store

When shopping at the thrift store, it was beneficial to check for good quality cotton for backing. It's one place I've allowed myself to be on the cheap.  



                                               Here is a reserve of backings for future quilts. 

Let our joy and fun continue with coming month with additional star blocks!

Let's Go Quilt!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...