Monday 30 January 2017

Hexagon- Rosette 2 & 3

It took me just over a year to finish hand-sewing three English Paper piecing rosettes. For that ambitious one or if that's the only project you're working on, it can be done in one year. For my part, I worked on my rosettes at my own pace.

My confidence build-up with rosette #1 when it was done (see March 2016). The rosette looked great! Then I started rosette #2 and for some reason, I struggled with the stitches. They showed in the front of the fabric seamed spaced out. I didn't like it one bit and quitting wasn't an option.

So what now.  Was my needle to short or too long? Or was it my thread too thin or too thick.  Questions after question pile up with each hexagon I hand-sewed together to the point not that my confidence plundered and searched for the answer to my problems. What was doing wrong?

Fortunately, these days, we've access to tons of videos on the internet. Found good ones that can help you with what you struggled the most or join the group that goes along with The New Hexagon Millefiore Quilt-Along. There are many gifted ladies, that are hand-sewing beautiful nontraditional hexagons. Their valuable expertise and encouragements to all beginners, like me, were very helpful. Never do a project alone, seek help when it's needed.

ROSETTE #2


 After I hand-sewed the individual hexes, I liked to lay them out for an overall view.

Another good idea, it's to take a picture of your rosette, if your fabric differs from the pattern.

  Love the results, even if my stitches aren't to my liking. Something to work on I'm guessing.

ROSETTE #3


The purple center isn't exactly what I had in mind or planned. The mirrors helped to visualize a complex design. Something I'm not familiar with just yet and will continue to work on with
Rosette # 4.

  My invisible stitching in from the front is coming along.

  Close whip-stitch or flat stitches, about 12 stitches per inch, will give you great results.

 Each rosette has a weird shape, but they all fit together into a quilt at the end. They are twelve in total.

What I learned:

The thicker cotton thread may show in the front.
-Using a  polyester thread or other light thread help
-Stitches close
-Whipstitched on the 'surface' do not 'dive' into the seam.
 -Keep a finger flat with the edges as I sew.
-Don't quit!

IDEAS

I used an eyeglasses case to store my hand-sewing kit.


If you're interested in this project go to Katja Marek website
The New Hexagon Millefiore Quilt-Along


No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...