Wednesday 21 January 2015

Project 9: Big Ten in Red, Black, and White


        This is the fourth Big Ten I'm planning. That's right. Planning is a huge step for me. I usually jumped on a pattern, impulsively buy fabric at regular price, then sew the top. What's wrong with being impulsive? Nothing really, but poor planning can leave a gap in your quilting project, and if you don't finish it right away. The fabric might be out of print or don't match the existing ones or lack of contrast or boring altogether.



   So this time I decided to plan ahead before starting the quilt. Sometimes you can find a picture of the finished quilt which helps you to visualize the pattern and colours you've decided to use. Also if you've EQ, it helps a lot.  Then layout your fabric from dark to light and see if they work together.  My black/white fabrics were all nice together but I didn't like the severe tone to it. Adding an accent of green, orange, or red would accentuate my quilt, so I purchased fabric in the reds and loved the results.
 See the difference it makes!



   The Big Ten requires ten different fabrics.  It's fun to play and organized them as to  create an interest flow of vivid colours. This time I don't need to plan my free-motion quilting as I'm doing the same pattern as the previous Big Ten. 

Note: My top is completed, but not quilted yet. So look for updates on this project.




UPDATE: April 20, 2015

.
I quilted horizontal and vertical straight lines, also in the inside of the block.
Adding the reds, certainly added elegance. Using fabric with strips, gives the  border an interesting finish touch.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! What a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you:) It's a gift for one of my nephew and his wife. They aren't aware of this... yet lol

    ReplyDelete

Garden Petal

Hello , my quilting friends,     Starching   On this sunny and breezy day, I starched all the fabric for the Garden Petal and hung it on th...